Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Module 5

Podcasting and Vodcasting are both terms I am familiar with although I am yet to incorporate either of them in any of my lessons. They both have the potential to be quite powerful tools in the classroom or at home and they can be used by students at their own pace.
Pods and Vods are easily accessible by students however putting together either tool I'd imagine is quite time consuming. I see Podcasting and Vodcasting as tools that could be used for some variation or possibly revision of material learnt in lessons, but I would not feel confident enough to rely on either of these methods just yet.

You Tube is a tool I have been using in the classroom for sometime now and it is an invaluable resource in my opinion. I never plan a lesson around You Tube, but I can always find time to show a quick 5-10 minute video on something relevant to the lesson for example, some footage of landslides, tsunamis or earthquakes relevant to the Year 9 Elective Geography course.
Some of those Web 2.0 video links also looked quite handy.

I guess I am already on my way to using digital story telling in the classroom, but I am still very cautious. I have found that if you rely too heavily on these things sometimes it really can come back to haunt you!
I am quite comfortable with using You Tube already and the boys always show great enthusiasm when I put a clip on. Although Pods would be my next step I think the effectiveness of Vods would surpass that of Pods either at home or in the classroom, but thats just my opinion in relation to the subjects I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment